Welcome Message

This blog is called “Game On” and is dedicated to helping you be a better coach, mentor and motivator. I also hope it helps you find a balance in your coaching and personal life.

You’ll find regularly posted topics dealing with:

- motivation
- protecting yourself from liability
- coaching issues you should know about
- Current events
- Life issues
- and my golf game - maybe you can send me some short game tips ;-]

My hope is that you to will learn, enjoy, and be challenged by my posts. You may be informed, amused, or even agitated, but I hope it will improve some aspect of your coaching and personal life.

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

The General Retires

Any of you who have been a basketball coach respect Bob Knight for his knowledge. You may not care for all his methods , but his genius is unquestionable. You probably have heard that Knight stepped down yesterday after 42 years as a head coach at Army, Indiana, and Texas Tech. The number of athletes and coaches he has influenced is enormous, assuredly including people he never met. In faxct, I can consider myself one of them.

Certainly, his tactics, antics, and methods were not models for me. His attention to detail, knowledge, and dedication to the game were. His passion for discipline was also important. Even though it may not always be acceptable, you will find his players at every stage intensely loyal to him.

The game will miss him for his personality, his passion, and his skill. College basketball...in fact basketball as a whole...is better off because of him. Happy retirement Coach.

Dan

No comments: