Welcome Message

This blog is called “Game On” and is dedicated to helping you be a better coach, mentor and motivator. I also hope it helps you find a balance in your coaching and personal life.

You’ll find regularly posted topics dealing with:

- motivation
- protecting yourself from liability
- coaching issues you should know about
- Current events
- Life issues
- and my golf game - maybe you can send me some short game tips ;-]

My hope is that you to will learn, enjoy, and be challenged by my posts. You may be informed, amused, or even agitated, but I hope it will improve some aspect of your coaching and personal life.

Wednesday, August 1, 2007

How to protect yourself from parent problems

Have you ever had a confrontational meeting with a parent? Were there things said by either you or the parent that could come back to haunt you later? If so, what was your next step? Maybe, there has been a discipline issue you had to deal with in practice. Will you need to remember the details next month, next year, or in five years?

If you’re like me and part of the post-40 generation, you’re memory is not what it used to be! Even if you are younger, your memory will never hold up to intense questioning or in a court of law. That’s why documentation is the most important tool you have in your arsenal for liability protection as a coach and a teacher.

Do you keep a journal of unusual events, player and parent conversations, and discipline? If not, why? Keeping a written documentation is the best form of protection you have. With technology today, you can easily store an untold amount of data forever without it being a space burden. Now, you may be saying “Dan, did you say FOREVER?” Yes…you heard me right. There’s no time limit on when a bad situation rears its ugly head and you’re called upon to show your practice plan from a date many years in the past. Don’t take chances. You can store several years of practice plans and journal entries on one thumb drive.

You should have been outside my locker room five years ago when an angry parent surprised me coming out of my locker room right after an agonizing one-point loss to our arch rival. He was upset because his senior daughter hadn’t played in the game. He didn’t know that she and I had an agreement about her role on the team. She was a “bubble” player and probably wouldn’t have made the team as a senior, but we wanted to keep her because of the great person and motivator she was. She knew there would be games she might not play in. Bottom line – I had documented my conversation with the player, and then the confrontation with her father. Nothing ever came of it, but I was glad I had it in writing.

Do yourself a favor and document unusual events and conversations. I know it’s not like you have loads of free time but consider the loss of time you face if you have to re-create things. Documentation is your best form of protection.

One last note; if you have witnesses to any discussions or events and you feel their account is important, ask them to write an account and keep it with your documentation.

P.S. Would you like to improve your presentation skills so you can really get your message through to parents at your next parent meeting? Check out my new educational CD, Panic to Power: Swift & Simple Speaking Strategies Anyone Can Use. You can purchase it now by clicking under the giant CD to your right! Make sure your parents know your expectations and rules. Take the next step to better communications.

No comments: